Chorister Tutor (Part-time)
St Mary’s Cathedral, Sydney
St Mary’s Cathedral is the spiritual home of Sydney’s Catholic community, and the seat of the Archbishop of Sydney. The Cathedral plays a vital role in the spiritual and cultural life of Sydney, as well as Australia in general. The Cathedral Choir is Australia’s oldest continuing musical organisation and is integral to the Cathedral’s life and worship. Continuing support from successive Archbishops has provided for a professional music foundation encompassing 24 boy choristers who are educated at the Cathedral’s on-site (non-boarding) Choir School, 12 lay clerks who are professional singers, a specialised program for former choristers whose voices have changed, and an adult volunteer choir. The Cathedral Music Department operates an extensive program, providing and facilitating music for all services and events that take place in the Cathedral.
The Chorister Tutor supports the pastoral care, supervision and child safety obligations of the Choir towards its student choristers, as well as providing administrative support within the St Mary’s Cathedral (Cathedral) Music Department.
The Chorister Tutor works closely with both the Music Administrator and Director of Music to ensure the efficient running of the Music Department so that the Director’s time can be used in the most efficient way in achieving the objectives of St Mary’s Cathedral.
This is a part-time position (24 hours per week) and will require some flexibility in terms of undertaking the duties around the commitments of the choristers.
This is primarily a supervisory role, not a teaching role, with some administrative responsibility.
The Chorister Tutor will possess the following qualifications, skills and experience:
- A current NSW Working with Children Check Number (WWCC) or will be eligible to receive one;
- Demonstrated commitment to the ethos and values of the Catholic Church
- Experience working with and supervising young people aged from Year 3 to Year 8;
- First-aid qualifications;
- Relevant qualifications in Education or Teaching, or progress towards relevant Education/Teaching qualifications would be highly regarded.
- Sound knowledge of Microsoft Office applications – Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Outlook, including skills in desktop and web publishing;
- Administrative and organisational skills including experience in filing and record keeping;
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively without close supervision and to be accountable for performance.
- Professional manner and presentation;
- Excellent communication and people skills including the ability to command respect and engender cooperation from young people;
- A demonstrated interest in the arts, music, and education;
- Attention to detail and a well ordered approach to work;
- Demonstrated commitment to client;
A position description detailing further information about this role is available HERE
Applications for this role should include a covering letter outlining suitability for the role, addressing the above selection criteria (outlined under “The Person”) and a resume.
Applications to be sent in confidence to:
Employment Services Manager
Polding Centre, Level 5, 133 Liverpool Street, Sydney, NSW 2000
or to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications close: 1 April 2018
- Organisation Catholic Archdiocese of Sydney
- Location CBD, Sydney, Australia
- Contact person David Nethery