Applications are invited from suitably qualified men and women for the following position:
Professional Standards and Safeguarding Officer – Re-advertised
- Full time permanent
Reporting to the Bishop or his delegate, the Professional Standards and Safeguarding Officer is responsible for the following:
- Driving cultural change across the Diocese of Wagga Wagga to ensure that processes, activities and structures incorporate best practice in the science of safeguarding
- Developing and leading the implementation of policies related to the safeguarding of children and vulnerable adults across the Diocese
- Establishing a Diocesan process to ensure compliance with policy through the provision of induction, education and training
- Establishing and ensuring the maintenance of recording and reporting systems for the Diocese
- Having overall responsibility for the on-going management of safeguarding complaints and work with those with pastoral responsibilities to ensure best practice
- Working actively with the Diocesan Safeguarding Committee and providing advice to the Head of Agency accordingly.
This role requires a level of compassion that provides for the protection and support of all children, young persons and vulnerable adults under the care of parishes and their schools and entities operating under the auspices of the Diocese of Wagga Wagga. The role ensures that any allegation of abuse is appropriately managed in accordance with current legislation and in keeping with the pastoral teachings of the Catholic Church. This role also develops and facilitates the effective delivery of services, programs education and/or events to staff, clergy and volunteers across the Wagga Wagga Diocese.
A thorough understanding of investigation process and procedural fairness for those reporting abuse and for those against whom allegations have been raised is an inherent requirement for the role.
The Officer will work closely with the key leaders of the Diocese through their safeguarding and child protection officers in developing, implementing and amending as necessary, the policy, strategy and practices of the Diocese and its Agencies. This is to ensure that current and future child safety responsibilities of the Diocese are compliant.
You are required to address each of the selection criteria listed below in a separate written statement of no more than 2-3 pages. Your suitability for the position will be assessed against the following criteria:
- A demonstrated commitment to the ethos and values of the Catholic Church;
Demonstrated experience in a similar role or in a field with readily transferable knowledge and skills (e.g. child protection, child advocacy, or investigations experience in human resources or criminal law);
- Tertiary qualifications in a discipline relevant to the role (e.g. legal, policing, communications, psychology, social welfare, employment/industrial relations) or extensive relevant industry experience;
- Demonstrated experience leading and managing people and working as a co-leader in a large multi-disciplinary organisation;
- Demonstrated exposure to work in a highly regulated environment, involving complex considerations and offering compliance advice and risk-based solutions;
- Have undertaken case management and conducted investigations and inquiries and the implementation of subsequent recommendations and outcomes;
- A current NSW Driver’s Licence.
- Salary and Conditions: Level 7/3: $102,033.09 pa in accordance with the Diocese of Wagga Wagga 2009, General Terms of Employment
- Leave: 4 weeks annual leave; ex gratia paid leave between Christmas and New Year
- Superannuation of 9.5% paid in addition to the above salary.
- A motor vehicle, from a pool of cars, is provided for work use.
- Applicants who are successful in gaining an interview will receive an interview travel allowance
The successful candidate will have a verified Working with Children Check and a National Criminal History Record Check.
You should submit the following documents as your application for this position:
- Cover Letter
- Statement (of no more than 2-3 pages) which addresses the Selection Criteria in section 7 above.
Applications are to be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org or by post to:
Ms Julie Price
Employee Services Manager
Diocese of Wagga Wagga
PO Box 1012
New South Wales 2650
Applications close 9 February, 2018
- Organisation Diocese of Wagga Wagga
- Salary Salary and Conditions: Level 7/3: $102,033.09 pa in accordance with the Diocese of Wagga Wagga 2009, General Terms of Employment
- Location Wagga Wagga NSW
- Contact person Julie Price +61 2 69370000 or 0428 106 070