University Chaplaincy Co-ordinator
Catholic University Chaplaincies are the spiritual home for the students, staff and alumni of the universities in which they reside. It is a vital part in the sacramental, faith formation and evangelisation of young people and a place for the exploration of ideas of faith and reason within the university setting. Based in the St John Paul II Catholic Student Centre at the University of Sydney, the chaplaincy operates throughout the campuses of The University of Sydney, University of NSW, University of Technology Sydney and Macquarie University. Chaplaincies run a variety of events and programs, in union with the evangelisation vision of the Catholic Archdiocese of Sydney.
The primary purpose of the University Chaplaincy Coordinator is to develop Catholic faith and life among the students and staff of those universities within the Archdiocese of Sydney that have a Catholic Chaplaincy presence. This role will have specific accountability to the Episcopal Vicar for Evangelisation, and will be a main point of contact in matters relating to university Catholic Chaplaincy.
It will engage with the different aspects of the life of the University, and its various groups, through reason and dialogue to promote the development of a Catholic culture on campus. It will work towards the authentic human development of the students in all its diversity as well as promoting and nurturing a profound intellectual Catholic life. The University Chaplaincy Coordinator will initiate, support and co-ordinate these works within the University.
The role involves the overall management of Chaplaincy staff, via Team leaders, in all the Universities in which the Catholic Archdiocese of Sydney has a Chaplaincy presence.
The Person will possess the following qualifications, skills and experience:
- A personal commitment to the ethos and values of the Catholic Church and the role of the Catholic Church in your life and to the evangelisation of young people.
- Minimum of three (3) years experience in a similar role, or equivalent experience working with young people and students in other capacities
- At least one undergraduate degree, and further studies in Theology is desirable
- Demonstrated experience in evangelisation; faith formation and spiritual formation; and in assisting young people to take vocational steps
- Demonstrated experience in relationship building; organising and co-ordinating large events
- Solid experience and knowledge of MS Office applications
- Ability to manage a small team
- Ability to communicate effectively and compassionately; to deal sensitively and intelligently with difficult issues
- Ability to listen; for strategic thinking and creating new projects
- Ability to help people to grow in freedom and responsibility
Applications for this role should include a covering letter outlining suitability for the role, addressing the above selection criteria (“The Person”) and a resume.
Applications to be sent in confidence to:
Employment Services Manager
Polding Centre, Level 5, 133 Liverpool Street, Sydney 2000
Applications close: 23 March 2018
Please note, although developing relationships with agencies forms a component of the Catholic Archdiocese of Sydney’s recruitment strategy, on this occasion agency submission will not be accepted.
- Organisation Catholic Archdiocese of Sydney
- Location University of Sydney, Darlington, Sydney
- Contact person David Nethery +61 2 9390 5198