Junior Multi Media Journalist
Communications and News Media
Communications and News Media is an agency of the Catholic Archdiocese of Sydney responsible for meeting the needs of the Archdiocese, its agencies and parishes. Its news media team works on the planning and presenting of compelling and highly engaging content across a range of platforms from the archdiocese website, social media channels, digital newsletter and print publication.
The primary purpose of this position is to identify original content to grow audience engagement through a digital newsletter for Sydney Catholic Schools and more broadly write stories for the Catholic Archdiocese of Sydney (CAS) website and ancillary print and digital formats.
The Junior Multi Media Journalist will work closely with the Senior Multi Media Journalist and Director of Communications and News Media to identify stories that focus on the good work of the Church and its agencies including, but not limited to education, welfare, social justice and health care.
A primary part of this role is the ability to write to varying audiences consuming Catholic media in a highly engaging manner.
The Junior Multi Media Journalist is accountable to the Director of Communications & News Media for the following:
- Finding and researching newsworthy content for parents and staff at Catholic schools
- Ensuring high engagement of those stories and promoting them widely
- Maximise content through the latest digital analytics, statistical data, SEO and promotional e-tools
- Ability to interview people across a range of subjects
- Responding to and meeting very short deadlines (particularly with social media and breaking news stories)
- Sourcing news stories from a wide variety of entities with a clear expectation that the journalist will contribute their own story ideas.
- Providing compelling stories of faith to encourage sharing of social content
- Participating in daily news briefings
- Assisting agencies in identifying key stories for both internal and external as required
The ideal candidate should satisfy the following selection criteria:
- A minimum of three (3) years relevant experience working on a community or regional newspaper or news website or in a similar role in Catholic media with multi-media experience.
- A good working knowledge of the Catholic Church, its agencies and current issues pertaining to it.
- Proficiency and a demonstrable history in the use of social media, including WordPress to maintain a website and Facebook presence.
- Good basic all-round experience in video and ability to package up stories in a multi media execution to ensure best user experience.
- Demonstrated commitment to the ethos and values of the Catholic Church
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to work to tight deadlines.
Applicants should submit a covering letter outlining their suitability for the role by addressing each of the required skills and attributes of this role (as outlined under the selection criteria above), as well as a resume outlining your qualifications and experience
Applicants should submit a covering letter outlining their suitability for the role by addressing each of the required skills and attributes of this role (as outlined under the selection criteria above), as well as a resume outlining your qualifications and experience.
Applications to be sent in confidence to:
Employment Services Manager
Polding Centre, Level 5
133 Liverpool Street
Sydney NSW 2000