Youth Respite Programs Officer
- Casual work during school term during afternoons and/or weekends
- Positions based in Armidale and Tamworth, Current NSW Driver’s Licence
- Current Senior First Aid Certificate
- Facilitate a safe, fun space for kids facing disadvantage
- Provide leadership to young adult leaders and Educational Support personnel
- Work for an organisation which is passionate about social justice
What we do
The Youth Respite programs are fairly new initiatives within the Armidale Central Council. The purposes are to connect with youth in our regions and offer support via weekend “Buddies Days”, weekly “Homework Groups” and other youth activities. Young people can be referred to the program by support agencies such as Centacare, Benevolent Society, Pathfinders, FACS and SVdP Conferences.
The Youth Respite Programs Officer will assist in the delivery of programs that include local ‘Homework Club’ sessions,‘ Buddies Day’ and other events in the Armidale Diocese.
The key responsibilities of the role will include but are not limited to:
- Supervising youth who are participating in the programs: includes transport of children between venues (home/ school);
- Ensuring safe custody of youth participants during program delivery;
- Reinforcing and normalising the concept of “homework” such as reading, writing and mathematics;
- Appropriately responding to emergencies and other critical incidents during program delivery;
- Preparing reports as may be required e.g. where a child or leader is perceived to be at risk of harm, in compliance with Duty of Care requirements and Child Protection Legislation.
- Providing a hand over to parents or guardians during pick up/ drop off at the end of a session
This role will report to the Diocesan Youth Coordinator.
Please click here for a copy of the Position Description.
To be successful in this role, you will need
- Ability to implement and lead a variety of appropriate activities and games
- Ability to liaise effectively with co-leaders, Educational Support personnel, referring Conferences and concerned parents
- Ability to remain calm in a crisis
- An empathetic nature
- Basic awareness of issues affecting participants on the activity
- Good organisational, communication and leadership skills
- The courage to act as an advocate for those in care
- The wisdom to see each participant as an individual
- Willingness to work with participants in an unconditionally enthusiastic and positive manner
- A sense of humour
- Current NSW Driver’s Licence
- Current Senior First Aid Certificate
- A willingness to adhere to and support the Mission, Vision and Ethos of the St Vincent de Paul Society
Come and join our team!
We believe our employees are key to our success and in return we offer:
- Job satisfaction working as part of a team making a difference to people’s lives in an organisation that cares about people.
- In addition to excellent learning and development programs, as a large purpose driven organisation we provide opportunities to grow your career across a range of teams and services.
- Supportive, friendly and values driven team environment and culture.
- Prior to an offer of employment, preferred candidates will be required to complete the pre-employment checks including reference checks, a Police check, Working with Children check, Health Declaration and/or a medical check, Right to work in Australia check.
If you have questions about this role, please email Michael O’Kane (Youth Coordinator – Armidale Central Council), quoting job number and position title: Youth Respite Programs Officer (Armidale & Tamworth) / VIN1012.
Applications close at 11:30 pm on 25 July 2018
Please submit your application attaching your Resume and your
responses to the Essential Criteria outlined in the Position Description.
Information on how to apply.
Click here to apply via the Vinnies website – Youth Respite Programs Officer
(Do not apply via Catholic Jobs Online)
St Vincent de Paul Society (NSW) is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and is committed to engaging a diverse workforce. The Society strongly encourages applications from people from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander background, people with disability, people from diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds and mature aged applicants.
- Organisation St Vincent de Paul Society NSW
- Salary SCHCADS, Level 3, hourly rates from $27.26/hr (depending on qualifications/experience) plus casual loading where applicable
- Location Armidale and Tamworth, NSW