Multi-Media Journalist – The Catholic Weekly
The Catholic Weekly
About the business
The Catholic Weekly is the weekly Catholic newspaper for the Archdiocese of Sydney distributed to parishes around Sydney and interstate. Its journalists and Editor works on the planning and presenting of compelling and highly engaging content across a range of platforms from print to digital and social media channels.
Catholics need a source of objective, professional news that keeps them informed about what is going on in the Church at every level – from the parish to the nation and to the world.
About the Role
The primary purpose of this position is to deliver news that informs, engages and inspires and to identify original content to grow audience engagement on issues that matter most to a Catholic audience.
The Multi-Media Journalist will work closely with the Editor and, more broadly, the news and media team to identify stories that focus on the good work of the Church and its agencies including, but not limited to education, welfare, social justice and health care.
It is expected that the role will present the most up-to-date information, possess a wide network of contacts within the Catholic community and write to varying audiences consuming Catholic media in a highly engaging manner.
The Multi-Media Journalist is accountable to the Editor for the following:
- Finding and researching newsworthy content
- Ensuring high engagement of those stories and promoting them widely
- Maximise content through the latest digital analytics, statistical data, SEO and promotional e-tools
- Ability to interview people across a range of subjects
- Responding to and meeting very short deadlines (particularly with social media and breaking news stories)
- Sourcing news stories from a wide variety of entities with a clear expectation that the Journalist will contribute their own story ideas
- Providing compelling stories of faith to encourage sharing of social content
- Participating in daily news briefings
Assisting agencies in identifying key stories for both internal and external as required.
Applicants should submit a covering letter outlining their suitability for the role by addressing each of the required skills and attributes of this role (as outlined under the selection criteria above), as well as a resume outlining your qualifications and experience
Applicants should submit a covering letter outlining their suitability for the role by addressing each of the required skills and attributes of this role (as outlined under the selection criteria above), as well as a resume outlining your qualifications and experience.
Applications to be sent in confidence to:
Employment Services Manager
Polding Centre, Level 5
133 Liverpool Street
Sydney NSW 2000